Search and rescue insurance
Ask for offer
Insure your expedition before crossing the ice cap or sailing along the coast.
SAR insurance - Search and rescue insurance
Exploring the Greenland ice cap or sailing along parts of the coast has become incredibly popular, but at the same time it is a dangerous sport, for the nature and the climate in Greenland are very harsh and changeable. Therefore, you must take the necessary precautions and insure yourself.
Start always by applying for a permit for the expedition
You must allways start by applying for a permission for your expedition at the Government of Greenland before we can give you an offer on Search and Rescue insurance, also known as SAR insurance. Read more here what you have to do.
For both individuals and business
We offer Search and Rescue insurance to individuals who want an experience for life and for companies that want to carry out research of different kinds in Greenland. An expedition must be a minimum of 2 persons.
Why should you buy SAR insurance?
The Goverment of Greenland requires that all expeditions, whether it be an expedition through sailing along parts of the coast or an expedition over the Greenlandic ice sheet, must purchase a SAR insurance.
Where on Greenland do you have to buy a SAR insurance?
All remote parts of Greenland, you must both have the permission to access and buying a SAR insurance. See on this map of Greenland where it is required.
What does SAR insurance cover?
Search and rescue insurance covers the expences for search and rescue operation. It is a prerequisite for coverage that the Greenlandic authorities have initiated the rescue operation.
Vi also offer you the following add-on covers:
- Your equipment and baggage.
- Travel accident.
What kind of help do you get, if an accident happens?
If your expedition gets in trouble and you send a distress-signal then the police in Greenland coordinates the search and rescue using helicopters, aeroplanes and trained rescue personnel.
What are the standard sums on the insurance?
Search & Rescue: Maximum DKK 1,000,000 per expedition.
Evacuation with ambulance transport: Maximum DKK 600,000 per expedition participant.
What are the main exclusions?
There is no cover for:
- a rescue operation not initiated by the Greenlandic authorities.
- search, which is a result of the expedition being divided into several groups.
- expeditions that must be interrupted due to periodic melt water.
- dropping extra supplies due to the fact that the expedition has not reached a repository, even though this is due to an unforeseen incident.
- search of the expedition's equipment, in cases where this is not done in connection with the search for the expedition.
For a complete overview of all exclusions, we refer to the insurance terms.
What are the requirements for the expedition's leader and participants?
- An expedition must at least consist of 2 persons.
- The expedition leader must have experience with similar expeditions.
- Expedition participants must be in physical and mental condition to be able to complete the expedition and be familiar with the length of the expedition, difficulty level, expected weather conditions, emergency service and similar basic conditions.
- People must not be 70 years or more of age, have existing illnesses or chronic disorders.
Can we extend the coverage period after we leave?
No, you can't.
Around the coverage period, we know from experience that many expeditions take longer than planned. Therefore, we recommend that when you buy the insurance, you extend the insurance period by another 14 days beyond what is planned as the expedition's last day. You must do this to make sure you are covered by the insurance.
Can we reduce the price by paying a deductible?
No, the SAR insurance has a fixed price and cannot be changed.
Can we get an invoice for SAR insurance?
No, we cannot issue an invoice to you. The offer itself is an invoice for the SAR insurance and the necessary information for payment of the SAR insurance is included in the offer.
When should we last pay?
You have to pay 8 weeks before the expedition, but please note that it may take up to 1 week before the payment has passed.
Should we provide a bank guarantee if we buy SAR insurance?
All expeditions crossing the ice sheet must provide a bank guarantee that the expedition has sufficient funds to pay for a possible transport from the ice cap to the nearest city. The bank guarantee must cover situations and costs that are not covered by the SAR insurance.
For example, if a participant does not want to complete the expedition, or melt water that causes the expedition to be interrupted.